Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Patriotic Letters

I'm feeling a bit guilty I let the ole' blog gather a couple of cobwebs, but I'm back to give a sneak peak of some of the decorations I created for our upcoming "3rd" of July/Housewarming party this weekend!!!We have been super busy getting the house in order over the last couple of weeks, and the remaining "junk" boxes unpacked, but I think we're as close as we'll ever get. In the middle of unpacking, I'm surprised I found the time to do a bit of decorating and craft making. You might remember back in this post how I made some festive X-mas decorations with some wooden letters, paint, mod podge, and scrapbook paper. Well, I tried it out again, except this time I used some cardboard type letters I found on sale at Michaels for 99 cents (score!).I used the same red and white paint I used on the X-mas letters to paint my U-S-A letters. It went a lot faster this time since I didn't have to sand the letters before painting them, but I did have to be careful not to over saturate the letters with paint for fear they would break down and get all gooey on me. I think I may prefer these letters over the wooden ones. For one, they're a lot larger and easier to see from across the room, and two, the bottoms are flat which allows them to stand up straight on my mantle, where as the wooden letter were sort of propped up against the wall.

I won't bore you with all the details since the process was pretty much the same as my x-mas letters, but you get the idea with my pictures. Lucky for me I was armed with a 25% off my entire purchase coupon (including clearance items!!!) when I went to Michaels, so this project ended up costing me less than $8.00. Hard to believe I know but here's the break down: Three letters @ 99 cents each; polka-dot ribbon @$1.00, blue ribbon @1.00; three sheets of scrapbook paper @ 35 cents each; three wooden stars @ 65 cents each; I already had the paint, mod-podge, red and white ribbon, and glitter used to decorate one of the stars on hand, so all those were free. Add everything up, subtract the 25% off coupon, and you've got yourself an inexpensive, patriotic mantel decoration. I'm hoping to take lots of pictures of the rest of the decorations I have planned for the party on the day of when the tables are all set and the house looks all pretty. But for now, I'm linking this up to Centsational Girl's Stars and Stripes Party!!! I just love her sense of style and have gotten a ton of inspiration from her.





No comments:

Post a Comment